Kyrees Sullivan, 16, and Harvey Evans, 15, died in the incident on Monday evening while riding an electric bike.
Here is a timeline of events:
– May 22
– 17:59.40: CCTV footage shows the electric bike being ridden along Frank Road in Ely and travelling towards a marked police van. The bike then turns around.
– 18:00.52: Further CCTV taken from a camera on a property in Frank Road and shared on social media shows the bike being followed by the police van. The vehicle’s blue lights or sirens were not illuminated.
– 18:01.18: The police van is at New Ely Church roundabout and travels down Archer Road, Stanway Road and turns left into Howell Road.
– 18:02.31: The van turns on to Grand Avenue.
– Between 18:02.17 and 18:02.41: The fatal road traffic collision occurs in Snowden Road. At the time of the collision the police van is in Grand Avenue – half a mile away from the crash scene.
– 18:06.59: The police van is on Cowbridge Road West when it receives information about a road traffic collision. Officers turn on the blue lights and head to Snowden Road.
– 11.13pm: Police post on social media they “responded to this collision, which had already occurred when officers arrived”.
– May 23:
– Midnight: Belinda Sullivan, the mother of Kyrees, posts on Facebook, appealing for calm and saying her son’s body was still on the side of the road.
– 2.40am: The teenagers’ bodies are removed from the scene of the collision.
– Between 3am and 3.30am: Rioters are finally dispersed.
– Morning: Alun Michael, the police and crime commissioner for South Wales, gives media interviews and denies there had been a “police chase”.
– 5pm: At a press conference the police admit they were following the boys down Frank Road minutes before the crash after CCTV footage of the pursuit was published by media outlets.