Students face their fair share of kitchen disasters throughout their time at university.
A mix of limited cash and a new found freedom can lead to an array of interesting, and often rather burnt, meals.
This was certainly the case at the Avery Hill Road accommodation block in Avery Hill, London yesterday.
A group of students had turned a toaster on its side in an attempt to make a cheese toastie.
The kitchen experiment sparked a blaze that soon gutted the entire room.
There were, fortunately, no reports of any injuries.
Firefighters have now been forced to warn people ‘not to use toasters on their side to make cheese on toast’.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: ‘The fire started after a resident placed a toaster on its side and inserted bread and cheese. They then left it cooking unattended.
‘Only use electrical products for their designated use. Toasters need to be kept clean to prevent fires and are not designed to be used on their side.
‘Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface but the dry left-over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.
‘It’s also really important that you always check toasters and other appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use, unless they’re designed to be left on, like your fridge or freezer.
‘Keep clutter to a minimum on your kitchen work surfaces especially near toasters and hobs as they can accidentally switch them on or catch fire.’
Part of the ground floor of the three-storey block was damaged by fire.
The blaze is believed to have been accidental and caused by the unsafe use of a toaster.
Firefighters were called at 10.40am and the fire was under control by 11.18am.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Sidcup, Bexley, East Greenwich and Lee Green fire stations attended the scene.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.