Glasgow stabbing: Badreddin Abedlla Adam, 28, named as suspect shot dead by police in hotel knife attack

  • london
  • June 27, 2020
  • Comments Off on Glasgow stabbing: Badreddin Abedlla Adam, 28, named as suspect shot dead by police in hotel knife attack

The man shot dead by police during a knife attack in Glasgow has been named as Badreddin Abedlla Adam.

Adam, 28, from Sudan was gunned down by officers following a mass stabbing at a hotel in the city on Friday.

Police Scotland said confirmation of his identity was “based on information the deceased provided to the Home Office earlier this year”.

Six people were injured, including a police officer, in the attack at the Park Inn Hotel in West George Street.

Glasgow Attack – In pictures

The force said in a Twitter statement on Saturday night that detectives will “continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.”

It added: “The police discharge of firearms resulting in a fatality will also continue to be fully investigated by the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC).

“Both of these inquiries, which take place under the direction of the Lord Advocate, are ongoing and it would not be appropriate to speculate either about the events or the outcomes of these investigations.”

Glasgow stabbing attack: Injured police officer named

Earlier, the police officer injured in the knife attack thanked his colleagues for saving lives.

PC David Whyte, 42, was rushed to hospital alongside three asylum seekers who were staying at the hotel and two members of staff.

All six casualties remain in hospital, with one in a critical condition.

In a statement shared on Twitter, PC Whyte said the scene of the incident was “something he will never forget”.

He said: “As the first responders on scene, myself and my colleague did what all police officers are trained for, to save lives.”

The officer, who remains in a stable condition, thanked his colleagues who “put themselves in harm’s way to contain this incident and assist with the vital treatment given to myself and others at the scene by other emergency services”.

He added: “Despite suffering serious injuries myself, I know that the swift actions of colleagues saved lives and prevented a far more serious incident.

“I would like to thank the medical staff at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for their outstanding care in the hours following this incident.

“Finally, I would like to thank the public for all their kind messages of support and for the good wishes from all at Police Scotland. It means a lot and has brought both myself and my family great comfort at this difficult time.”

Police Scotland, which has said the attack is not being treated as terrorism, has launched an appeal for any witnesses to come forward.