A teenager who was stabbed to death in East London on Friday night has been named locally as ‘nice young man’ Kayjon Lublin.
The 15-year-old died at the scene of the attack in Newham just before 7pm last night.
A 25-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody, the Met Police said today.
Friends have paid tribute to Kayjon, describing him as a ‘good kid’ who was close to his mother.
One friend changed his profile picture on Facebook to a photo of the youngster with the message: ‘Rest in peace my little G.’
A close family friend told The Sun: ‘I know the family very well, they are a big part of the community around here. He was a big part of the community and lots of people knew him. He was just a young boy and had his whole life ahead of them.
‘He was a good kid, and loved his mum, they were very close. She’s absolutely heartbroken, and I’m going to go and try and see her in person later.’
Another woman, whose son went to school with Kayjon, said: ‘My son was good friends with him, he was a lovely boy and my son will be devastated when I have to tell him. I wish this violence would stop, I wish they would put down their knives, there’s no need for it all.
‘It’s another family who will be broken by this, so close to Christmas it’s an awful thing to happen.’
Police were called just before 7pm yesterday following reports of a knife attack near the Royal Docks in Newham and found the boy seriously injured.
Lawrence Adu, a neighbour of the boy and a friend of his uncle, says he knew him ‘all his life’. He said: ‘I’m so shocked. He’s a nice young man, very handsome and always laughing.’
Police arrested a man on suspicion of murder at an address in Newham shortly before 5am this morning.
The Met said the boy’s next of kin have been informed of his death.
Detective Superintendent Paul Whiteman said: ‘I am shocked at this tragic loss of a young life.
‘An arrest has been made but the investigation is still in its early stages. I would appeal to any members of the local community to come forward with any information which might help bring those responsible to justice.’
Elsewhere in the capital, officers were called to a street in Hounslow, west London, at around 6.15pm yesterday following reports of a stabbing.
A 17-year-old male was found with a stab wound and injuries consistent with those caused by a corrosive substance.
He was taken to a west London hospital to be treated for injuries believed to be life-threatening.
The Met said no arrests had been made and several roads in the vicinity remained closed while inquiries continued.
On Thursday, officers from the Violent Crime Taskforce recovered 30 combat knives and a lock knife as they arrested two teenagers in north London.
A 16-year-old boy was seen handing boxes containing the weapons through the window of a property in Islington.
A 15-year-old suspect was discovered inside the property with boxes containing more knives and a lock knife in his trousers.
Both were arrested for possession of an offensive weapon and remain in police custody.
The Violent Crime Taskforce’s Sergeant Pete Luciano said: ‘The seizure of these 31 weapons will have undoubtedly prevented them from being used in acts of violence and potentially even saved lives.
‘Our officers are patrolling areas known for violence and this case proves the value of intelligence-led stop-and-search.
‘Reducing serious violence is the Met’s top priority and I hope the community feel reassured we were able to remove these weapons from the streets.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page.