Toddler shot in head survived after bullet ‘missed his artery by millimetre’

  • london
  • June 15, 2020
  • Comments Off on Toddler shot in head survived after bullet ‘missed his artery by millimetre’

The grandmother of a two-year-old boy who survived being shot in the head at close range has revealed the bullet missed an artery by a millimetre.

Lillian Serunkuma gave her first-hand account of the attack for the first time since the toddler, his mother and two others with them were shot in Harlesden, London on June 3.

She said the gunman approached an individual she was stood with in the street and fired at that person, before continuing towards the car which contained her daughter and grandson firing shots through the driver’s side of the car.

The mother and another victim tried to escape through the passenger’s side but ended up on the floor, Ms Serunkuma added, where the pursuing gunman continued to fire more shots at them.

He then fled the scene on a motorbike. It’s believed the car was also carrying another teenager and two other children.

The family previously said the mother was shot eight times in the arm, chest, backside and leg but that neither she nor the other wounded suffered life-threatening injuries.

Five men have been arrested in connection with the shooting but none have yet been charged.

Ms Serunkuma, whose son Quamari Serunkuma-Barnes stabbed to death in 2017 aged 15, appealed for anyone with information that could help police catch the gunman to come forward.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

She said: ‘My grandson is two, he has never hurt anyone. The person who did this doesn’t deserve your protection or friendship.

‘He was oblivious to anything that I was saying. He was very calculated in his movements. He didn’t have any regard for anybody that was there or whether they were his intended victims or not.

‘The gunman could clearly see that a woman and child were present in the car, and fired towards them without any regard for their safety, seriously hurting them both.’

A 20 year-old man has been released under investigation after being arrested on suspicion of four counts of attempted murder. A 19-year-old man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been bailed.

Three other males aged 29, 23 and 36 were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and have all been released under investigation.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.