Jacob Blake has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges filed prior to the shooting.
The 29-year-old black man was shot by a white police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin last month, reigniting nationwide protests over racism and police brutality.
Mr Blake has been accused of criminal trespass, third-degree sexual assault and disorderly conduct in charges which predate the incident.
The woman told police Mr Blake broke into her home on May 3 and sexually assaulted her before stealing her truck and debit card.
On Friday, Mr Blake entered the plea through his lawyer during a livestreamed court hearing.
It came as his first public appearance since he was shot in the back by a white Kenosha police officer on August 23.
Mr Blake, who was left paralysed from the waist down by the shooting, was propped up in his hospital bed, dressed in a blue shirt and yellow tie, with his lawyer, Patrick Cafferty, sitting in a chair to his side.
Mr Cafferty noted that Mr Blake had been working as a painter and that he had no prior criminal record or convictions in any state.
Mr Blake raised his hand to greet Loren Keating, a Kenosha County judicial court commissioner when addressed.
He said: “Yes sir,” when asked if he could hear clearly and whether he understood the terms of his $10,000 signature bond.
“The state recognises that these are serious charges but also that the defendant has serious injuries and he’s recovering at the hospital,” said Zeke Wiedenfeld, a prosecutor.
The court set trial to begin on November 9 with jury selection.